Monday, November 7, 2011

Modern BOM: September



I have fallen behind on my BOM sewing but I found some time this past weekend to get the September block sewn...




The September block for the Modern BOM looks very simple but was actually a bit complicated to construct.  You cut squares and then cut them into triangles (not half square triangles), then other squares get cut, sewn together and then cut into a traingle.  Then you have to use the triangles you created as templates to cut angles into your background pieces, etc.  A seasoned quilter has probably used these techniques in the past but I am not a seasoned quilter so there were a couple of new-to-me construction techniques involved in the creation of this block.
To get good results you have to be very precise and also careful not to stretch your triangles out of shape as you sew and press.   I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.  I love all the nice pointy, points that I was able to achieve.  Fun, fun.



I pulled fabric to make this block again in pinks with a print as the background and solid triangles.  Anyone else sewing along with this BOM over at SewMamaSew? 


No comments:

Post a Comment