Thursday, August 4, 2011

Modern BOM: July

SewMamaSew is hosting a year-long Modern BOM on their blog and I've decided to try to sew along.  Check out the first block for July here.  I'm not planning to do an entire quilt with the blocks or anything.  My goals for sewing along are just to learn more about quilt block construction and to try my hand at some of the "modern" or improvisational blocks that I see all over the internet.  I also want to use each block as an opportunity to experiment with color.  I will be able to try out different combinations on a small scale without committing to an entire project - just one block.  And it will be a good way to get to work with some of the fabrics in my stash that I love but just haven't found a project for and to use up some scraps.  If any of the blocks turn out really well then maybe I'll work them into a quilt or pillows. 

If you are a beginner thinking about making the July block you might be put off by the fact that it has 16 pieces.  However, I'm a very inexperienced quilter and it took me less than a half hour to cut all the pieces for the block.  The block seams are all straight line sewing and the design is such that you can still come up with a nice block even if your seems are not 100% precise.  It is a forgiving block if that makes sense. 

So here is my block for July using solids in khaki, turquoise and spring green and an orange tone on tone butterfly print from the Nest line by Valerie Wells. 




The author of the BOM posts at SewMamaSew is Alissa Haight Carlton a founding member of the Modern Quilt Guild and the co-creator of the Block Party book.  The book features 12 modern quilts that are primarily "wonky" and improvisational.  You can download a free excerpt of the book here - it is the whole first chapter with instructions for the wonky log cabin block used for the book's cover quilt!  I am considering making the log cabin block now to distract me while I wait impatiently for the August BOM post on SewMamaSew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment