This one is an improvisational block and when I saw it I thought it had a pixelated look to it. I chose to modify the actual August BOM a little bit. I took left out the sashing strips at the sides of the block. I used 4 shades of blue and just had at it - cutting strips about 9 inches long and between 2-3" wide. I let the block be as big as it wanted to be and just squared it off at the end - it is 13 1/2" square. The finished block reminds me of an extreme close up of a pixelated photo. Also, the color blocking effect has a kind of 60's feel to it. I really like the way it turned out...
While I was waiting for the August BOM post I made some of the modern log cabin blocks that are in the first chapter of Block Party.
These log cabin blocks were really fun to make - no measuring just slash and sew! I liked the effect of the blue block alot - much better than the green and pink block with contrasting colors. I liked it so much I used all the same blue shades for the August block.
I've been working hard on some garment sewing also. I just finished a skirt for my daughter using the Music Class pattern from Oliver + S. I have a matching blouse all cut out and with the scraps left over I'm going to make her a Mother Daughter Tote using the free tutorial from Oliver + S. With any luck I'll be able to post about those finished pieces in the next few days.