Monday, May 23, 2011

Simplicity 2188: Top in Liberty Tana Lawn

I made a top using Simplicity 2188.  I used the same Liberty print that I used for the lining in my daughter's denim bolero jacket.  I cut a size S which is 10/12.  It has been a while since I made a top for myself without any pattern alterations or muslin.  I decided just to go with it for this one and it worked out thank goodness !  It was fast, fast - no pattern tracing, no muslin fittings.  Just cut, sew, wear!

At some point I may release the center pleat an inch or so to see if that helps with the pulling I'm getting in the bust but for now I'm good with it as is.  Okay, now for a note about the pattern.  The back piece for this top is drafted improperly - it is too long.  See this?!  Here is a picture of the front and back pieces. 

See how the back piece is about 2 inches longer than the front?  The side notches, marking for the bottom of the arm hole and the waist marking are all off as a result.  If you cut your fabric as per the pattern as I did your hem will end up like this. 

Simplicity - bad, bad!  It was an easy fix, I sewed my side seams along the curve of the bodice front and used the pattern marking for the sleeve hole as marked on the pattern front.  Then it was just a matter of lopping off the extra length and hemming it up.  I'm happy I was able to put this wonderful fabric to good use - I was able to make my blouse and the lining for my daughter's jacket out of a 1 1/2 yard cut! 


  1. It's a cute top! I really like the print.

  2. It is cute, you will love it for the summer :)

  3. What a surprising pattern error!

    But the top is so cute - what lovely fabric.