Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pop Over Dresses in Amy Butler Prints

For the last couple of weeks I have been wanting to make a couple of dresses for my friend's daughters.  My friend currently lives far away from most of her friends and family (including me!).  And she has had a couple of rough weeks (sick kids + loss of a pet = no fun).  So I thought it would be nice to send her girls something hand made that they can wear.  I think when you make clothing for someone it is such a personal thing so it feels a little like I'm sending a tiny piece of me to them in the mail.  Is that wierd, super mushy?  Probably but what-ev!




And what better pattern for a quick gift than the O+S Pop Over dress? I said it once and I'll say it again - that pattern is so easy and fun.  And it sews up so fast!  I used french seams at the sides.  As I did with my last popover dress I took a little extra time to slip stitch the bodice facings down instead of top stitching by machine.  This time I took the additional step of blind hemming the dresses by hand also.  I wanted the hem to be invisible and the blind stitch that my machine achieves is well, not really blind. 

I used brightly colored prints in 2 color ways from Amy Butler's Midwest Modern line.  These dresses are bound for sunny Claifornia and I hope they bring a smile to my friend and her little ones!

This is the 3rd time I've used this particular dress pattern.  Recently, I've been seeing blog posts about the dumbing down of quilting and how it is very lame of "crafters" to make the same thing over and over and never grow their skills.  I hope that my repetitive dresden plate making and pop-over dress sewing doesn't get me in trouble with the sewing police! Oh wait, there are no sewing police.  I guess I'll just sew whatever makes me happy then.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment