Sunday, October 16, 2011
Simplicity 2569: Bodice Progress
I am making some good progress on my daughter's witch costume. So far I have sewed a full lining for it and assembled the bodice in the fashion fabric. I also added a faux placket to the bodice front and drafted a collar that will echo the peplum that this dress will have at the waist. Here it is so far (with the underskirt just sort of pinned on)...
To draft my collar I taped the bodice front and back pattern pieces to each other along the stitch line of the shoulder seams and I taped those pieces down onto my mat like so.
Then I layed a piece of tracing paper on top of the original pattern pieces and taped it down too and I traced the neckline and the center front line. I also marked the seam line for the center back.
Finally I just used a ruler and a french curve to draw a collar that suited me, starting and ending the collar inside the center front and back lines. I went for a pointed shape that would look similar to the shape of the bodice peplum I am using. I added in a 1/4 inch seam allowance to the outside curve. I used this pattern piece to cut 4 from my fashion fabric and 2 from interfacing for my collar.