Saturday, September 3, 2011

Buttercup Bags Made with Parisville Prints

I made two bags using the free Buttercup Bag pattern from Made By Rae.  I had some fat quarters from the Parisville line by Tula Pink and I have been saving them to use on a project for myself.  I finally cut into them to make these bags.  I love the Parisville line and Tula Pink is great.  I love her too.  I love illustrations that draw you in with inviting or exciting, happy colors and then once you get close you realize that there is something off about the details, something unexpected that makes the whole thing come to life.  Tula Pink does that so well.

Ok, so here are my bags...




Here you can see the lining and the interior pocket.  I used a designer solid from Free Spirit for the lining.  This was my first time applying a magnetic snap - they were easy peasy.




I left off the strap because I'm not going to use these as hand bags.  I'm actually going to use then to store my most frequently used sewing notions - scissors, rotory cutters, seam gauge, fabric marking pens etc. 

Overall, I'd definetly recommend the Buttercup Bag pattern to anyone who is looking for a quick, fun project for those fat quarters in your stash that you are itching to use.  However, if you are going to make this as a handbag I would fully interface the lining instead of just a 1.5" area under the snap.  I would also consider using something heavier than quilt weight for the outer.  I think home dec weight would work well and give the bag a little more structure.  My bags are a little floppy. 

Anyone else making something for themselves right now or has it been all Back to School sewing at your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment