Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Music Class Blouse and Skirt

For the past week or so I've been sewing for my daughter.  I started out without much of a plan.  I just dug through my fabric and patterns looking for a combination that was cute enough to inspire me to get to work.  I came up with the Music Class blouse and skirt pattern from O + S.
 


I've had this pattern for a while and I've made the blouse once before.  I decided to pair up chocolate brown pinwhale cord and a very sweet rose print cotton - both from my stash.  The cotton print is by Three Sisters for Moda, from the Sangrila line. The cord I purchased on sale months ago at fabric.com and it has a tiny bit of stretch to it. 




The music class skirt comes together in a flash.  It is so fun to make.  I love how there is a single piece of fabric that you fold to form the pocket and the skirt side panel.  I don't like to hem - it is one of my least favorite things about garment construction.  And this hem was extra hateful because of the pleats.  I trimmed the seam allowance to almost nothing and pressed like crazy and the pleated panels behaved pretty well. 



The music class blouse is a great pattern for anyone who has never sewn a placket and wants to learn a new sewing skill.  The instructions for the front placket and the button cuff for the long sleeve version are excellent.  This is the second music class blouse I made for Aurelia and I have another short sleeve version planned already.  I don't really like how quilting weight cotton takes a pin tuck so I decided to do simple gathers across the yoke and sleeve cap instead of the tiny pin tucks.  The only un-fun thing about sewing this shirt is the button holes.  They are right up there with hemming pleats on my list of hateful sewing tasks.  My machine makes terrible button holes.  My hand stitched ones aren't much better.  I used buttons that I reclaimed from one of my husbands old dress shirts as he was throwing it out. 



Obviously I made the skirt and shirt to match but I think that the shirt could easily go over jeans or a denim skirt.  It could also look cute under overalls or a jumper.  The outfit will work in the warm weather with sandals or later in the fall with tights and a cardigan.  Very versatile - as long as she doesn't outgrow it too quickly!  Look at this sweetness!

3 comments:

  1. That's a lovely print for this blouse. Your stitching looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps - I love the tiny gathers too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely outfit! Love the rose print

    ReplyDelete