Monday, April 25, 2011

Simplicty 2178: Plans for a Cynthia Rowley Dress in Chambray

My dear husband is out of town for work for a few days so my sewing machine is sitting idle while I chase kids and try to hold down the fort as a temporarily-single parent.  However, I do have an exciting new project in the works and here it is... Simplicity 2178.


I am planning to make view D, the yellow-ish dress.  I am going to make it up in a blue chambray fabric from the Lissett fabric line sold at Joann's.  Here is the swatch:
                                                                                                                                   

As I said I won't get to my sewing machine with this project for the next couple of days but I do hope to make some progress in the evening after my little ones are in bed.  My goals are to measure the tissue, trace off my size (likely the 12) and make any pattern alterations I think are necessary.  I'll need an FBA and I'll probably shortening the straps.  I'll probably muslin at least the bodice and the waist pieces especially since my first look at the pattern indicates that this one has less ease than the average Simplicty pattern.  Is that the case with all of the Cynthia Rowley patterns?  This is my first one so I'm not sure.  Any spring/summer dress sewing going on at your house?

ETA:  Holy Macaroni!  Have you read any reviews for Simplicity 2178?  I just read 2 of them and well, its scary.  You can read them and be frightened too here and here.  I'm going to press on with my plan to try this dress because it is just so cute but I won't be able to say that I haven't been warned. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Liz, thanks for your note. I have never worked with chambray, so i cant help you there, but i think your idea of making a muslin is a good one. I had enough fabric to recut the midriff pieces, but if you don't much extra i would definitely do the muslin. Other than that, and the slightly odd skirt, i think the pattern was fine. I can't wait to see how yours comes out! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I traced off the bodice and midrift pieces last night and I took a good look at that crazy skirt pattern with darts, pleats AND gathers. (?!?) I like the asymmetrical look of the top in views A and B but I just don't understand the asymmetry at the waist in views A and D. I guess my sense of design (and adventure) must be lacking but I'm opting for the more simple skirt with gathers at the waist instead. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to get going on my muslin of the bodice and waist pieces. I'll keep you posted!
    - Liz

    ReplyDelete